This is the third day of The 30 Day Slim-Down Challenge and today I’m very excited about dinner! Why? Because I’m going to share with you the slimmed-down version of one of my favorite dishes (authentic Mexican chilaquiles). Feeling good so far! How about you?
Yesterday went well for me, I felt that the lunch that I had was very wholesome and flavorful, and the snack certainly did the trick for a low caloric one 😉 Besides, I did have a good night sleep (8 whole hours! for me that is usually too much).
One thing to improve though… I’ve always struggled with drinking my water! I keep trying but I’ve never been a water drinking person… specially when what I have to drink is plain water 🙁 I don’t like sodas either (that’s a good thing), but I’m more in favor of flavored beverages. So yesterday after forgetting to drink my water throughout the day I practically gulped about 20 oz. before going to bed :O (Obviously I ended up getting up like 4 times to pee at night, no kidding). Besides, what’s the point of drinking to much water at once, specially at night? The intention is to flush your system out of toxins and fat and keep your metabolism active, so it’s better to do it during the entire day in small but constant quantities right?
Ugh… so today I bought a 22 oz. thermos and I’m going to have it with me all day long (I need about 3 of those to fulfill the daily amount), so I remember to drink constantly. I think 22 oz. is the perfect size, not too small (so you don’t have to refill it all day long) but not too big (so you don’t look ridiculous hahaha :P, just kidding, it can be unpractical to carry on with you). If you suffer from the same weakness as me, I think this is a great option. There are also some great apps that work as a personalized reminder for you to drink enough water, such as Waterlogged, cool huh!
And so, we keep the good work towards a healthier lifestyle (and a skinnier you 😉 ). Thank you for keeping up!
It’s never too late late to join us in this challenge, so if you want to know a little bit more about it look into the Join our 30 Day Slim-Down Challenge post and The Balanced Meal Plan to check out what the program consists of and how you can make your way into healthier habits too! If you have already decided to join us, subscribing to Be.Daze. Live’s mailing list (the colored bar atop of your screen) is a great option, so you never miss a step in the process.
So what’s for today?
Today we are going to try a more practical approach for lunch, one that you can make ahead or take with you as a perfect picnic, potluck or office meal.
Day Meal Plan
Today will consist of 3 meals and 2 snacks as well. The recipes below are intended for a woman following The Balanced Meal Plan.
*Remember, if you are a man, increase the fruit intake by 1 unit, the veggie intake by 1 unit, the cereal intake by 1 unit and the meat intake by 2oz. For more information on the unit allowance per day, check out The Balanced Meal Plan.
Breakfast: Choco-Berry Smoothie
- 1 1/2 cups Frozen Strawberries
- 1 1/8 cups Skim Milk
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1 tbsp 100% Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 2 or 3 Ice Cubes
- A pinch Cinnamon (plus more for garnish)
- 3 Splenda packets (or sugar substitute of your choice)
- Place ingredients in a blender and liquefy (this is a thick mixture, so if your blender is not that powerful, it is recommended to pulse it a few times to crush the ice or frozen fruit and then liquefy).
- Serve and enjoy while cold!
Nutritional Breakdown:Units Consumed: 1 fruit units, .75 dairy units, Total of Limited Condiments Calories Per Serving: 151 kcal Fat 1 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 1 mg, Potassium 155 mg, Carbohydrates 20 g (Dietary Fiber 4 g, Sugars 15 g, Protein 0 g, Vitamin A 2 %, Vitamin C 11 %, Calcium 1 %, Iron 1 %)
Snack 1: Apple
- 1 medium Apple (you can enjoy it with a bit of lemon and chili powder to spice it up!)
Lunch: Tuna & Pasta Salad
- 1 Canned Tuna in Water
- 1 cup Frozen Vegetables (defrosted)
- 1 tbsp Reduced Fat Mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp Sour Cream
- 3/4 cup cooked Whole Wheat Rotini (or pasta of your choice)
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
- Salt to taste
- Drain Tuna
- Add all ingredients to a bowl and mix well. Enjoy!
- Units Consumed: 1.5 veggie units, 1 cereal unit, 1 meat unit, .25 dairy unites, 1 fat unit
Snack 2: Sautéed Green Beans with Peanuts
- 1 handful of Green Beans (about 5 oz), ends trimmed.
- 1/4 tsp minced Garlic
- 1/2 tbsp Sesame Oil (or olive oil)
- 5 chopped Peanuts
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 cup Ice
- Add the green beans to a pot of boiling water and leave for about 4min. (or until green color pops a bit).
- Drain green beans and immediately add them to a bowl with iced water (to stop the cooking process).
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat, then add garlic and sautée until fragrant (about 20 seconds).
- Add green beans and stir until lightly softened and heated through (about 4 minutes), season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add peanuts and mix, immediately transfer to a bowl and enjoy!
Dinner: Egg Chilaquiles
- 2 medium Eggs
- 2 medium white or yellow Corn Tortillas
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 small Roma Tomatoes
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped Onion
- 1/2 medium Serrano Pepper (or Jalapeño Pepper for a mild flavor) deseeded, deveined and stem cut off
- 1/2 tsp Powdered Chicken Bouillon
- Salt to taste.
To make the Salsa:
- In a pot, bring tomatoes, serrano pepper and enough water to cover them to a boil over high heat, continue to boil for about 8 min. (or until tomatoes’ skin starts to crack). This will bring out the flavor and reduce the pepper’s heat.
- Drain tomatoes and pepper and transfer to a blender with the onion and powdered chicken bouillon. Blend until liquefied and transfer to previous pot.
- Bring sauce to a boil over high heat, reduce heat to medium and simmer until thickened (about 5 min.).
To make the Tortilla Chips and Scrambled Eggs:
- Cut Tortillas into triangles with a knife or scissors (about 8 triangles per tortilla)
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat, add tortillas and sautée or stir constantly until browned and crispy (About 7 min.). Transfer to a bowl lined with a paper towel.
- On same skillet over medium-low heat, add eggs and scramble. Season with salt to taste.
To Assemble Chilaquiles:
- Add tortilla chips to the salsa and mix until the chips begin to soften (about 30 seconds), transfer mixture to a plate and top with scrambled eggs. Enjoy!
This is the third day of my Zumba Total Body Transformation Trial, if you want to know more about this workout routine check out this post.
Wow! I think I’m nailing it. Remember I was robotic? Well, today I felt a lot better, my body felt exercised without much of that muscle soreness anymore. Today is going to be a repetition of the first workout, so I’m going to give it all and try to improve those dancing moves! I think is going out great and I’m looking forward to see how tomorrow turns out!
So you guys keep up the good work and see you tomorrow ok?