Hi there! How are you? We are on day 29 of The 30 Day Slim-Down Challenge. I’m supper excited because we are just one day away from our goal! WOW, time goes by so fast! Aren’t you excited to see the results and to know that you’ve almost done it too? I know that I was supposed to post my results today but for the sake of the challenge I’ll post them tomorrow, all right? I’m so eager to know! 😀
As you’ve noticed, I love Mexican food, so today we’ll be having a traditional Mexican lunch made the authentic way: Green Enchiladas! Yum! I know that sometimes it’s more practical to buy the typical can of enchilada sauce, but this time, we are going to make the salsa ourselves. I swear it tastes a lot better and you’ll get more nutrients with fresh ingredients. Besides, it’s not difficult at all!
If you are wondering what this challenge is about and the meal plan we are following loose some extra pounds in a healthy and most of all balanced way, check out The 30 Day Slim-Down Challenge and The Balanced Meal plan to get you started. It’s never too late to partner with us and start your way into healthier habits for good! This is not a restrictive, fad or boring diet. You can eat a bit of almost everything in the right proportion. 😉
If you are already part of the team, subscribing to Be.Daze.Live’s mailing list (colored bar atop of your screen) is a great idea to be updated on our daily menus, workout plans, tips and tricks to achieve your goals.
So, let’s see what we have for today! 😉
Day Meal Plan
Today will consist of 3 meals and 1 snack. The recipes below are intended for a woman following The Balanced Meal Plan.
*Remember, if you are a man, increase the fruit intake by 1 unit, the veggie intake by 1 unit, the cereal intake by 1 unit and the meat intake by 2 oz. For more information on the unit allowance per day, check out The Balanced Meal Plan.
Breakfast: Green Apple Smoothie
- 1 medium Green Apple
- 1 Kale leaf, stem cut off (you can substitute with 1 1/2 cups of Spinach)
- 1/2 cup non-fat Yogurt
- 1/2 cup Water
- 3 Ice Cubes
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Juice of 1/2 Lemon
- Add all ingredients to a blender and liquify. Since this is a thick mixture, you may need to pulse for ice crush.
- Enjoy while cold!
Units Consumed: 1 fruit unit, 1/2 dairy units
Calories: 149 kcal
Fat 1 g (Saturated Fat 0 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g, Monounsaturated Fat 0 g), Cholesterol 3 g, Sodium 120 g, Potassium 430 g, Carbohydrates 28 g (Dietary Fiber 4 g, Sugars 18 g), Protein 9 g, Vitamin A 212 %, Vitamin C 161 %, Calcium 32 %, Iron 7 %
Snack 1: Grapes and Nuts
- 9 medium red or green seedless Grapes
- 5 Almonds
- 5 Pecan Halves
- Mix all ingredients in a small bowl and enjoy!
Units Consumed: 1 fruit unit, 1 fat unit
Calories: 107 kcal
Fat 8 g (Saturated Fat 1 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g, Monounsaturated Fat 2 g), Cholesterol 0 g, Sodium 0 g, Potassium 90 g, Carbohydrates 2 g (Dietary Fiber 1 g, Sugars 7 g), Protein 2 g, Vitamin A 0 %, Vitamin C 9 %, Calcium 2 %, Iron 1 %
Lunch: Authentic Green Chicken Enchiladas
- 4 oz chicken breast (you can use chicken thigh, fat trimmed)
- A quarter of an Onion
- A small bundle of Cilantro (6 or 7 stems)
- 3 big Green Tomatoes (Tomatillos)
- 1/2 Serrano Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Powdered Chicken Stock
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped Onion
- 2 white or yellow Corn Tortillas
- 1/4 cup sliced Onion
- 3 tsp Olive Oil, divided
- Salt and Pepper to taste.
- .5 oz shredded Monterrey Jack cheese (you can use Fresco or Cotija cheese and double the amount)
- 2 tbsp Mexican Cream (or sour cream)
- 1 tbsp chopped Cilantro for garnish
- Cook chicken by bringing it to a boil in a medium pot over medium-hight heat, along with a quarter of an onion and a small cilantro bundle (the onion and cilantro will enhance the flavor of the chicken). Reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until fully cooked (and no longer pink in the center). Shred chicken with a couple of forks, season with salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
- Meanwhile, clean green tomatoes by removing stems and outer leaves, then washing them with a bit of soap and water.
- To make the green sauce, place tomatoes and serrano pepper in a small pot with enough water to cover them, bring to a boil over medium-high heat and keep boiling about 10 minutes or until cooked (the bright green of the tomatoes and pepper will darken a bit). Drain.
- Cut the stem off the serrano pepper, deseed and halve (if you are more sensitive to spicy food, use the same amount of a jalapeño pepper instead).
- Place tomatoes, serrano, roughly chopped onion and powdered chicken stock in a blender and liquify.
- Heat 1 tsp of olive oil in a pot over medium heat, pour the green sauce and bring to a boil. Keep boiling over medium heat for 5 to 7 minutes (this step will bring out the flavor of the sauce).
- Meanwhile heat 2 tsp of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. With the aid of a fork or tongs, coat tortillas with the oil on both sides, then heat them about a minute per side until softened (coating tortillas with a bit of oil helps soften and moisten them so they don’t break, it also helps enhance their flavor)
- Using a fork or tongs, place tortillas on a plate. Fill tortillas with shredded chicken and roll them up. Sprinkle with the rest of the chicken (if any) and cover them with the green sauce.
- Top your enchiladas with shredded cheese, sliced onion, chopped cilantro and Mexican cream. Enjoy!
Units Consumed: 1 veggie unit, 2 cereal units, 1 meat unit, 1/2 dairy units, 1/2 deli units, 1 fat unit
Calories: 507 kcal
Fat 26 g (Saturated Fat 7 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g, Monounsaturated Fat 10 g), Cholesterol 35 g, Sodium 313 g, Potassium 380 g, Carbohydrates 35 g (Dietary Fiber 7 g, Sugars 7 g), Protein 32 g, Vitamin A 13 %, Vitamin C 10 %, Calcium 33 %, Iron 12 %
Dinner: Poached Egg over Prosciutto and Asparagus
- 1 medium Egg (preferably cold)
- 3 tbsp White Vinegar
- 1/2 cup Asparagus (thick ends cut off)
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- 2 tsp reduced fat Mayonnaise
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- .5 oz Prosciutto
- 1/2 whole wheat English Muffin
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, add 3 tbsp of white vinegar. Crack egg into the bowl (being careful no to break the yolk) and let sit for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add enough water (about 1 to 2 inches) and 1 tsp salt to a medium pot and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix mayonnaise and mustard. Toast muffin, and spread mayo and mustard mixture over it.
- Top muffin with prosciutto.
- With a spoon or whisk quickly swirl the simmering water until a vortex forms and water is smoothly spinning around. Pour the egg in the center of the vortex and keep swirling slowly for about 20 seconds (to prevent the white from spreading). Turn heat to medium-low, cover the pot and let poach for about 4 minutes (without stirring, pocking or peeking).
- Remove the egg from the pot with a slotted spoon and transfer to a paper towel.
- Coat asparagus with olive oil, season with salt and pepper to taste and sauté on a skillet over medium-high heat for about 3 to 4 minutes (or until desired tenderness).
- Layer asparagus on top of prosciutto, transfer egg on top of asparagus, sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste and enjoy!
Units Consumed: 1 veggie unit, 1 cereal unit, 1 1/2 deli units, 1 fat unit, total of limited condiments
Calories: 232 kcal
Fat 13 g (Saturated Fat 3 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 2 g, Monounsaturated Fat 6 g), Cholesterol 178 g, Sodium 490 g, Potassium 195 g, Carbohydrates 15 g (Dietary Fiber 2 g, Sugars 2 g), Protein 14 g, Vitamin A 14 %, Vitamin C 6 %, Calcium 6 %, Iron 16 %
Today is day 9 of the Zumba Total Body Transformation Accelerated Fat-Loss Program and it’s time for Zumba Live routine. Great! This gives me a little bit more variety 😉 So let’s dance!
If you want to know a bit more about this program, check out the Zumba Total Body Transformation: Trial and Review. In this post you’ll see the workouts included and their descriptions, the approximate calorie burn per routine and the results obtained after a 10 day trial (complementing with The Balanced Meal Plan).
Ok! So see you tomorrow and keep the great attitude!