Hello there! How are you? We are on day 26 of The 30 Day Slim-Down Challenge and we are having a very traditional Mexican dish for lunch. Tinga! This dish is made from either shredded chicken or flank steak in a smokey chipotle tomato sauce and it’s perfect to enjoy with tortillas (for soft tacos) or tostadas (which are toasted tortillas). Yum!
If you are wondering what this challenge is about and the meal plan we are following loose a few pounds in a healthy and balanced way, check out The 30 Day Slim-Down Challenge and The Balanced Meal plan, or subscribe to Be.Daze.Live’s mailing list (colored bar atop of your screen) to be updated on our daily menus and workout plans.
This is not a restrictive, fad or boring diet! You can eat a bit of almost everything in the right proportion and switch to a healthier lifestyle for good!
All right! So lets check out our meal plan for today.
Day Meal Plan
Today will consist of 3 meals and 1 snack. The recipes below are intended for a woman following The Balanced Meal Plan.
*Remember, if you are a man, increase the fruit intake by 1 unit, the veggie intake by 1 unit, the cereal intake by 1 unit and the meat intake by 2 oz. For more information on the unit allowance per day, check out The Balanced Meal Plan.
Breakfast: Banana – Coconut Smoothie
Get the recipe here
Units Consumed: 2 fruit units, 1/2 dairy units, 1 fat unit
Calories: 282 kcal
Fat 10 g (Saturated Fat 9 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g, Monounsaturated Fat 0 g), Cholesterol 4 g, Sodium 104 g, Potassium 535 g, Carbohydrates 41 g (Dietary Fiber 5 g, Sugars 24 g), Protein 9 g, Vitamin A 8 %, Vitamin C 2 %, Calcium 23 %, Iron 2 %
Lunch: Tinga Tacos
- 4 oz Flank Steak (you can also use skirt steak)
- 1/4 Onion
- 1 cup sliced Onion
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- 1 Roma Tomato
- 1 Chipotle pepper
- 2 tbsp steak cooking water
- Salt to taste
- 2 medium white or yellow Tortillas
- 2 tbsp Mexican Cream (or sour cream)
- In a medium pot with enough water to cover the steak, bring flank steak and the quarter of an onion to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer until flank steak is cooked (about 15 to 20 minutes). Shred the steak with the aid of two forks.
- Meanwhile heat the olive oil in a medium pot over medium heat, add onions and sauté to cover them in oil. Reduce heat to low or medium-low (depending on your stove), cover and let caramelize until translucent, moving the pot constantly so they don’t burn (about 10 to 15 minutes).
- Quarter the tomato and place it in a blender along with the chipotle (the chipotle gives the sauce a nice flavor and spiciness, if you are more sensitive to spicy food, add half a chipotle pepper or 2 tsp of the adobo liquid that it comes with), blend until smooth.
- Drain the tomato-chipotle sauce over the pot where you finished caramelizing the onions and add shredded steak. Turn heat to medium and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 5 minutes (this step will cook the sauce and combine all the flavors).
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, heat tortillas about 2 minutes per side or until soft and heated through.
- Assemble the tacos and top them with Mexican cream. Enjoy!
Units Consumed: 2 veggie units, 2 cereal units, 1 meat unit, 1/2 fat unit
Calories: 485 kcal
Fat 23 g (Saturated Fat 9 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g, Monounsaturated Fat 3 g), Cholesterol 85 g, Sodium 285 g, Potassium 0 g, Carbohydrates 44 g (Dietary Fiber 6 g, Sugars 9 g), Protein 26 g, Vitamin A 39 %, Vitamin C 42 %, Calcium 2 %, Iron 23 %
Snack 1: Shredded Coconut
- 3 tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 Splenda packet (or sugar substitute of your choice)
- Add all ingredients to a bowl and mix well. Enjoy!
Units Consumed: 1 fat unit
Calories: 100 kcal
Fat 10 g (Saturated Fat 9 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g, Monounsaturated Fat 0 g), Cholesterol 0 g, Sodium 5 g, Potassium 81 g, Carbohydrates 4 g (Dietary Fiber 2 g, Sugars 1 g), Protein 1 g, Vitamin A 0 %, Vitamin C 0 %, Calcium 0 %, Iron 2 %
Dinner: Prosciutto and Mushroom Pasta
- 3/4 cup whole wheat cooked Penne (or pasta of your choice)
- 3/4 cup sliced Cremini Mushrooms
- 1 oz Prosciutto
- 1/2 tbsp Butter
- 3 tbsp cooking pasta water
- 1/4 tsp minced Garlic
- A dash of Onion Powder
- 1 oz shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Heat butter in a pot over medium heat, add minced garlic and sauté until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
- Add prosciutto and sauté until lightly toasted (about a minute), then add mushrooms and a pinch of onion powder. Sauté until tender (about 1 or 2 minutes).
- Add cooked pasta, reserved pasta cooking water and simmer stirring occasionally until reduced a bit (about 2 minutes). Add cheese and season with salt and pepper to taste (not too much because prosciutto is already salty).
- Give it a final stir until cheese starts melting. Serve and enjoy!
Units Consumed: 1 cereal unit, 2 dairy units, 1/2 fat units
Calories: 343 kcal
Fat 14 g (Saturated Fat 8 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g, Monounsaturated Fat 1 g), Cholesterol 50 g, Sodium 568 g, Potassium 322 g, Carbohydrates 12 g (Dietary Fiber 0 g, Sugars 1 g), Protein 17 g, Vitamin A 4 %, Vitamin C 0 %, Calcium 1 %, Iron 3 %
Today is day 6 of the Zumba Total Body Transformation Accelerated Fat-Loss Program and It’s Sculpt & Tone + Flat Abs exercises. So let’s keep sculpting that waistline!
If you want to know a bit more about this program, check out the Zumba Total Body Transformation: Trial and Review. In this post you’ll see the workouts included and their descriptions, the approximate calorie burn per routine and the results obtained after a 10 day trial (complementing with The Balanced Meal Plan).
All right! So that’s all for the day. Congratulations for the good work and lets continue the great attitude!