Thick Udon noodles give this Japanese style soup its great consistency while mushrooms, ginger and scallions deepen its flavor.
This recipe is a great option for a hearty yet healthy lunch and fits perfectly in a balanced and healthy regime like The Balanced Meal Plan, which is a great program wether you are trying to loose some extra weight or just keep yourself fit.
- 4 oz cooked Chicken Breast cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1.5 oz Udon Noodles
- 2 cups Dashi (you can use chicken stock)
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- 1/4 tsp minced Garlic
- A dash of Powdered Ginger (or 1/4 tsp fresh minced ginger)
- 3 Scallions (thinly sliced)
- 1/4 cup chopped Carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped Green Beans
- 1 cup shredded Cabbage
- 1/4 cup chopped Broccoli
- 1/4 cup chopped Zucchini
- 1/4 cup chopped Mushrooms
- 1 tbsp Soy Sauce
- Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
- Salt to Taste
- Heat olive oil in a pot over medium heat, add scallions (reserving a tbsp or so for garnish) and sauté until softened and translucent. Then add garlic and ginger and sauté for about 30 seconds or util fragrant.
- Add carrots and green beans, stirring well to coat with oil. Then pour chicken stock and bring to a hard boil. Lower heat to medium, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add shredded cabbage, cover and simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Then add broccoli, zucchini and mushrooms, give a quick stir and simmer for 5 additional minutes or until desired tenderness. Reduce heat to low, stir in soy sauce, cubed chicken and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Meanwhile, in another pot, cook udon noodles according to package instructions. Drain noodles and rinse with cold water (to remove surface starch) and serve into a bowl. Serve hot soup over the noodles, garnish with remaining scallions and red pepper flakes (if desired) and enjoy.
Units Consumed: 2 veggie units, 1 cereal unit, 1 meat unit, 1/3 fat units, total of limited condiments
*Units based on The Balanced Meal Plan.
Calories: 448 kcal
Fat 7 g (Saturated Fat 1 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g, Monounsaturated Fat 3 g), Cholesterol 0 g, Sodium 2036 g, Potassium 831 g, Carbohydrates 57 g (Dietary Fiber 9 g, Sugars 13 g), Protein 39 g, Vitamin A 25 %, Vitamin C 142 %, Calcium 10 %, Iron 14 %
If you want to receive more healthy recipe ideas, subscribe to Be.Daze.Live’s mailing list (Colored Bar atop of your screen) and never miss a thing! 😉
Don’t forget to show some love in the comments space below! [icon type=”glyphicon glyphicon-heart” color=”#e810c4″]