When in a healthy diet, we can’t deny ourselves the pleasure of Italian flavors, as long as wee keep ourselves ingredient and portion-conscious.
Incorporating Italian cuisine into a healthy diet seems challenging, nevertheless it can be super easy if we embrace healthier alternatives such as organic whole grain pasta, gluten free pasta, sugar substitutes for sauces, herbs and spices. On the other hand we need to be cautious with oils: less amount to achieve flavor but maintaining our fat and calorie intake within healthy levels.
You are going to love this incredibly simple and healthy version of the all-time Italian classic: Chicken Arrabbiata
Vibrant and fresh taste in this recipe comes from the right spices: smoked paprika and a pinch of red pepper flakes, both Italian favorites.
This is a perfect lunch or dinner portion that fits in a balanced and healthy diet like The Balanced Meal Plan, which is a great program wether you are trying to loose some extra weight or just keep yourself fit and healthy.
- 4 oz Chicken Breast
- 3/4 cup organic whole grain cooked spaghetti (we also love this gluten-free version)
- 1/2 tbsp Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- A pinch of Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/4 cup reserved cooking pasta Water
- 1/2 tbsp Butter
- 1/4 tsp minced Garlic
- Juice of 1/4 Lemon
- 1/2 cup Baby Spinach
- Salt an pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 425 F / 220 C
- In a bowl mix olive oil, paprika and red pepper flakes until you form a paste.
- Pat chicken dry with a paper towel, season with salt to taste and rub with the olive oil paste on all sides. Place in a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until fully cooked and no longer pink in the center.
- Meanwhile, heat butter on a skillet over medium heat, add garlic and sauté until fragrant (about 30 seconds). Add spaghetti, reserved cooking water and stir until reduced a bit (about a minute).
- Lower heat, add baby spinach, lemon juice and season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir until heated through (about a couple more minutes), serve with the chicken and enjoy!
*This recipe is featured on The 30 Day Slim-Down Challenge: Day 30
Units Consumed: 1 cereal unit, 1 meat unit, 1 fat units
*Units based on The Balanced Meal Plan
Calories: 370 kcal
Fat 14 g (Saturated Fat 4 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g, Monounsaturated Fat 5 g), Cholesterol 15 g, Sodium 133 g, Potassium 408 g, Carbohydrates 2 g (Dietary Fiber 1 g, Sugars 0 g), Protein 27 g, Vitamin A 41 %, Vitamin C 17 %, Calcium 2 %, Iron 8 %
If you want to receive more healthy recipe ideas, subscribe to Be.Daze.Live’s mailing list (Colored Bar atop of your screen) and never miss a thing! 😉
Don’t forget to show some love in the comments space below! [icon type=”glyphicon glyphicon-heart” color=”#e810c4″]